Monday, June 4, 2012

BEA Book Week:


Today starts the largest Book event in the United States that I know of: BEA, Book Expo of America. Unfortunately I was not able to go this year, though I am already making plans to go next year.  But that doesn’t mean I can’t share my excitement for some amazing books that will be coming out.  I received BEA Buzz Books via Netgalley, so I have excerpts from over 30 of the anticipated books of fall. To pass on this excitement, for the next couple of weeks as I read an excerpt that screams at me that I need to get the full book I will share it with you!

 BEA Book Highlight #1: Origin by Jessica Khoury,
 Razorbill, Sept 4,2012

Synopsis (From Goodreads): Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home—and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin—a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever. Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost. This is a supremely compelling debut novel that blends the awakening romance of Matched with the mystery and jungle conspiracy of Lost

My Thoughts
“So, I’m left to my own wits, which are still frayed and raw from the encounter with the anaconda this morning.”  -Pia, from Origin
“Heart hammering and skin the temperature of liquid nitrogen, I flee the building.”
                This was a short excerpt, but it was enough to make me want to read more –right now. I want to know what happened with the anaconda.  Pia mentions it almost casually which shows strength in her that will come in handy later. Then it goes on to the arrival of unexpected guests.  Aye! I definitely want to keep reading and find out what happends. There’s action and suspense and Pia’s life is in the balance.  There’s so much to find out, Origin, has made it to the top of my must-buy list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment