Thursday, June 7, 2012

BEA BOOK HIGHLIGHT

 I received BEA Buzz Books via Netgalley, so I have excerpts from over 30 of the anticipated books of fall. To pass on this excitement, for the next couple of weeks as I read an excerpt that screams at me that I need to get the full book I will share it with you!




BEA Book Highlight #2: Tap Out by Eric Devine, Running Press, September 11, 2012

Synopsis (From Goodreads): Seventeen-year-old Tony Antioch lives in Pleasant Meadows, a trailer park where questions aren't asked since everyone already knows the answers from their own experience. He dreams of rescuing his mother from her constant stream of abusive boyfriends but in reality can barely duck the punches that are aimed at himself. When Tony is coerced into joining his friend Rob's Mixed Martial Arts class, he is surprised to find that he has a talent that he actually wants to develop. But with a meth-dealing biker gang that is hungry for recruits and a vicious cycle of poverty and violence that precedes him, Tony is going to need a lot more than blood and guts to find a way out. Gritty, powerful, and unapologetic, Tap Out explores what it takes to stay true to oneself and the consequences of the choices made along the way in order to do so.

My Thoughts
                I am a huge fan of mixed martial arts so that is what initially caught my attention with Tap Out. Everyone comes to this sport for a variety of different reasons. Tap Out is about so much more than just MMA , it’s about Tony. Tony is a boy coming into himself and trying to survive the harsh reality of his family and environment. What he faces will require much more than just some mixed martial arts. I do want to point out if you have issues or concerns with language than this book may not be for you. But on the same token, I would say that the language can be overlooked. (At least it can from the excerpt that I’ve read.)

No comments:

Post a Comment