Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Lips touch Three Time by Laini Taylor


Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor
With Illustrations by Jim Di Bartolo

Arthur A. Levine – October 2009

www.lainitaylor.com
www.jimdibartolo,com
Facebook: Yes
Twitter: lainitaylor
Source: Louisville Free Public Library, a pleasure read
Rating: Thoroughly enjoyed this, looking forward to reading more from this author.  

Click here to read what this story is about

  Wow! What an incredibly vivid imagination Laini Taylor has. I am not sure if there is anything that I could say about Lips Touch Three Times or Laini Taylor that has not been said before. It is writers like Taylor that simultaneously make me hesitate to write and inspire me to do so. These stories were composed with such beautiful craftsmanship. Three magical stories that are only connected with the power of a kiss.

“Goblin Fruit”
Kizzy is warned about the temptation of goblins, She doesn’t believe that they are still around, believing that they only existed in her grandmother’s time. But when she catches the attention of a goblin, who then tempts her with his fruit, you’d think that she would know better. I can’t say that I am a fan of the ending, I was kind of hoping for the strength that seemed to bubble beneath to surface at the last minute. But I could relate to Kizzy and I liked her for her decisions.

“Spicy Little Curses”
A girl who’s blessed with a beautiful and power voice and who’s been cursed to kill whoever hears her voice. A lady who has taken the heavy burden of bargaining with the devil to save the lives and souls of little ones. It is a contrast of something so bright with life and power with something filled with darkness and despair.

“Hatchling”
A child runs away from a world that is not her own, carrying a new life into the unknown. A little girl who discovers that she is not who she thought she was and neither is her mom. This is the longest story in the book, and it is probably the story that will stay with me the longest. This was more than just a glimpse into another world. With the history and emotions that were dripped onto the page, I feel as if I was invested in this story.

I was really engaged in each of the stories. Of course there were moments that I wish that they were longer. They each felt complete, as if there was enough to grab onto and satisfy the reading urge.

Always Shine,
Starr K

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be checking out more works by this author. I can't say it enough. She really is that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy this author. I wanted to read this one before diving into Daughter of Smoke and Bone, which I get to start this weekend (hopefully)!!!

    ReplyDelete