Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review of Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn


Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn
Sisters of the Moon Book 1
Berkley – October 3, 2006
Facebook: Yes
Source: Louisville Free Public Library

Read what this book is about here.
               
                I heard of this author from a fellow book blogger. She was reviewing a different book in the series and the cover looked amazing. So what did I do? I went to the library and checked out. It sat and sat and sat on the pile as I moved through others on that pile or my other pile. I knew that I wanted to read it but I wasn’t pressed to do it immediately.  Then I started reading it, and I must say that I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters and the action. I can’t really say that I was transported into the story; some of the settings weren’t detailed enough for me to visualize. Like Otherworld, the homeland of the three sisters and the other Fae-folk. For some people that would have been a deal breaker. Is it important? Sometimes - if the setting is supposed to act as a character in the book, or if it plays an actual role and holds some significance to the plot than it’s important. If it is just used to transport you from one place to another than no so much. Otherworld is important to the sisters, which makes it important to the story. But only so you can understand how much of an outsider the sisters were and so you can understand their homesickness. This was accomplished without focusing too much on the actual description the place. Home can change settings for many people but it will never change the way it makes us feel. Can you enjoy the tale of Delilah, Menolly and Camille without falling into Otherworld or Earthside (their current home)? Oh yes, you most certainly can! Or at least I can.
                The characters spark to life and force you to focus on them and the action and emotion that they’re tangled up in at the moment. You are totally engaged in Camille’s bout with temptation-pretty much wherever she finds a hot guy. (Ok, maybe that was a little exaggeration, but she is definitely in tune with the sexual side of the world).  While, each sister has a role to play in the story, Witchling seemed to focus more on Camille then the other two. 
                She tough and sexy, and I couldn’t help but immediately liking this character.  There was enough vulnerability and “girlness” that she was believable. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the rest of this series.

 Always Shine, 
Starr K

No comments:

Post a Comment