Wednesday, May 22, 2013

From the Editor's Desk: Reading Update

SKG Photo

Yes, I know this is late. But at least it's here! Baby steps...


Books Received 
I purchased The Illiad by Homer
Falling Under by Gwen Hayes 
Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury
Soul Eater by Michelle Paver 
and a C.S. Lewis book along with a Chronicles of Narnia Reader


What I am Currently Reading:

Shortly after posting this last week, I realized that I was in a reading funk. I had a stack of library books out that I really wanted to read. At the same time, it felt like a chore to get through the stack and my mood was changing. I had finished Lord's book and loved it. Then I picked up Things Fall Apart, while I was interested in reading I was engaged in it. 
So I did the only thing I could think of, made sure all of the books were added to my Goodreads list and talked it out with a book friend. After talking it out, I figured out I was in the mood for some nonfiction stuff, stuff that would turn out to be relevant to my WIP. I wanted to find out what a regular person a hero, what caused people to run towards danger instead of away from it. I also wanted to increase my literary knowledge.  So I grabbed a couple of books and started reading them and wow, I'm excited once again about what's on my reading pile.  I am currently reading Thermopylae: The Battle that Changed the World. This tells the story about the 300 Spartans. I am almost finished with the actually story part of the book, but there are a couple of appendix pieces that I want to read and I will be looking at the bibliography and further reading section to grab my next book about the Spartans. Yes I am fascinated with them
What I will be reading:
Well, I am attempting to keep my reading constantly diversified so as to avoid the slump again, so I will be cleaning up my Goodreads currently-reading  shelf. I will also be diving into the Galdiatrix book that keeps staring at me. This is the story about the female gladiator skeleton that was found. I believe that this was also a special on the Discovery Channel.  

What I wish I was reading right now:
I'm pretty content with what I'm reading and will be reading. 

Netgalley Adds
Under the Empyrean Sky by Chuck Wendig 
The Judgment Stone by Robert Liparulo 
Spartan Front by Jennifer Estep

Well, that's all from my desk! Leave a link or mention in the comments what you're reading this week!!

Always Shine,
Starr
SKG Photo   taken by me,  and cannot be used or copied without my express written permission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment