Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: Dragon Wytch


Dragon Wytch by Yasmine Galenorn
Otherworld #4
Berkely – July 1, 2008
275 pages- Adult, Fiction, Paranormal/Urban Fantasy, Romance
http://www.galenorn.com/
Facebook: Yes
Twitter: @YasmineGalenorn
Source: Library
From Goodreads: We're the D'Artigo sisters: savvy--and sexy--operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. But being half-human, half-Fae short-circuits our talents at all the wrong times. My sister Delilah shapeshifts into a tabby cat whenever she's stressed. Menolly's a vampire who's still getting the hang of being undead. And me? I'm Camille, a wicked-good witch, trying to juggle faulty magic, gorgeous men, and the demonic war in which we're embroiled. Sometimes, it's hard to know just who we can trust... "The Equinox is coming, and mayhem rules. A crown-prince unicorn offers us a legendary gift, but it vanishes. Goblins and trolls swarm the streets of Seattle. And now Smoky, the sexiest dragon alive, decides to stake his claim--on me. Overshadowing it all, the third spirit seal surfaces and Shadow Wing's after it. But I've discovered a secret that could change everything. A new power is rising--a dangerous force from the past--one that intends to restore balance to the worlds...whether we like it or not..."


My Thoughts
*First, in case you’re wondering, I really did read Darkling, where my review of that went I don’t know. I will re-read and post review ASAP!*
                There’s a lot of reintroducing of the characters, setting, history and backstory that would make it easy for a new reader to follow. But, since I read the series from the beginning I find it a little annoying. It draws me out of the story. Personally, I think that if a reader is too lazy to start from the beginning in a series they deserve to be confused. Moving on…
                It’s a heavy burden to always be the strong one; the one that everyone turns to when they’re in trouble. No one knows that better than Camille, Menolly and Delilah. No matter the personal cost or the risk they have always been willing to face the threat to Earth and Otherworld. I am a huge fan of this series and Dragon Wytch did not disappoint. This story was toe-curling steamy when it came to Camille’s love-romps. It was soul-draining exhausting when it came to the battle scenes. It seems that we are always moving around the twists and obstacles that the sisters face, just as they are. That’s probably what I love the most about this series. It’s the ability to be pulled so deeply into the story that it’s more like being a fly on the wall instead of just reading.
                I have read each of the sisters’ stories, but I feel a stronger connection to Camille than to the other two sisters. I couldn’t say why because I enjoyed both Delilah and Menolly’s perspective very much. I can’t even say that I think that Camille is the stronger sister. Each one faces their own darkness in the midst of a bigger battle. Maybe it’s her snarky attitude and the way she goes off on these anger/exhaustion-fueled rants.  I don’t really have to know why. I can enjoy it all the same without understanding that part.
4 Stars ****
What’s Next? Night Huntress


Always Shine,
Starr K

No comments:

Post a Comment