Saturday, September 1, 2012

August Wrap-Up

If you are an old follower, than you know that this is the first monthly wrap-up post that I've ever done. I am trying to get more organized and thought that this would help. We shall see. At the sort of beginning of the month, I listed ten books that I hoped to make it through in August. Who thought that I would make it through that list? Really? You all had that much faith in me? Or so little faith in me? Well, I didn't make it through the list. I read a total of seven books and only three were on the list. Out of the seven, one was for fun and the other six were reviews or review-related. (Review-related means that I have the second or third book for review but I need to back read. See review policy for more info on that.)

But I did learn something about myself. I don't do very well working from a list. Maybe it's because I have stacks and stacks of books screaming at me to be put on the list and it seems unfair to choose one over the other. Or that it adds an extra weight of pressure to finish that turns into feelings of disappointment and loserville if I don't complete the list. I like to read and will do everything I can to keep reviewing to ever feel like work.

The second thing I discovered was how much I hate obligation.  Yes, I accept free books from authors, publishers and other book loving companies. And yes I promise to share my honest opinion-good or bad- with the world. But sometimes the weight of obligation bleeds over to the book itself and makes me dislike it. That's sort of what happened with one of the review books, and I set it aside.  I would rather the author be upset that I didn't finish the review on time than to be upset over and undeserved negative review.  Ahh, but that is enough of my ranting.  Thank you for making it this far.

Books I've Finished this month:
Circle of Friends by Carol M. Tanzman (R)
City of Women by David R. Gillham (R)
Blood Eye by Giles Kristian (R)
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga (F)
Book of Dreams by Davis Bunn (RR)
The Unwanteds of Lisa McMann (RR)
Ember by Carol Oates (R)

August Reviews
Don't You Wish By Roxanne St. Claire
The Unquiet
Red Heart Tattoo by Lurlene McDaniel
Ember by Carol Oates
Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
Blood Eye by Giles Kristian

Yes, I know that reviews don't quite line up with what I've read. I'm playing catch up with everything. But you know you'll be really bored when I'm all caught up, lol!  Well I'm off to start working through my September pile (piles work so much better than lists! sometimes they even shrink)


Always Shine,
Starr K


No comments:

Post a Comment