Sunday, February 26, 2012

Review: The Help By kathryn Stockett


The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Berkley Publishing Group – June 2011
Facebook: Yes
Twitter Yes
Source: I own it



My Thoughts: Wow! This is a powerhouse book, it is filled with so much that I am struggling with where I should begin.  For those of you who have not read the book, I don’t want to talk about something in particular. But for those who have, I have a few thoughts: really? How? She so deserved it! Okay, now that I have gotten that out of the way I can move on. What better book to read for multicultural month? (Yes, officially February is Black History Month, but I personally wanted to celebrate all of the cultures that we will find in this country. While I didn’t get through all of the books that I wanted to for this month, I will be repeating this theme.) I love the fact that in the end, the one person that can destroy the trio if the secret ever comes out is also the one person that can protect their secret-not because she has grown as character or something deeply moving as that. She has an even bigger secret to keep, and the only way to protect her is to protect them. I bet she found that slice of pride even more difficult to swallow.
                The time period of this book is one that is often difficult to discuss, those who feel bitter and enraged at the atrocities and injustices that occurred and those who want to repair the damage still have not been able to meet in the middle to acknowledge and then move on.  It was a time of change and a test of spirit. Not only for the black people that was living at this time but for the white person as well.  What people don’t want to acknowledge is the struggle that happened in the white community during the civil rights movement.   But what is shown in the book, is that there was a whole lot of ignorance and a whole lot of let’s not change things-out of fear of change.  We needed all the Skeeters, Lou Annes, Minnys, Abileens, etc... to make the tide of civil rights turn for the better.  I don’t know if anyone has ever thought of what the United States would have been like, if it was only the black people that wanted change to come.  No one I know has even breathed those words out loud.  But honestly, where would we be?
                Moving on to the actual book . . . the writing was superb! I was engrossed in the story immediately. If it wasn’t for school assignments and work that had to be done, I would have finished this book days ago. Though, I had to put it down to tend to other things,  I regretted doing so and even tried to read while doing something else (didn’t work out too well).  I don’t think I have found that I despise as much as Hilly, and though it meant losing everything I am glad that Skeeter was the one who broke free of Hilly’s stranglehold. Minny, what can I say about her that will make you understand just how wonderful she is? If I had to choose a personality to have and live in that time I would definitely choose MInny’s. Though flawed, especially in regards to her taste in men, she is feisty and hilarious. She is a thunderous voice to be reckoned with.  Abileen is quiet, peaceful and powerful. She is the voice in the child’s head that secretly erases all of the untruths told to them over time. She changes the world by the children she tend to and the example that she sets.
                I definitely enjoyed reading this book, even the moment that made me cringe with anger and sadness that there had been real situations that we had to survive.  Even the parts of brutality that I still don’t understand. Nothing was glossed over and I really felt as if I was walking along beside the characters during this unstable time.  But it didn’t stay focused on that, it focused on the change that was coming to this part of Jackson and all of the people that were involved in creating this change. Yes, the book focused on the three main people that had a big part in it, but change came because of everyone involved in it. Everyone had a role to play then. Everyone has a role to play now.


If you have not read this, then yes you really should and yes it was really that good            


Always Shine,
Starr K 




5 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this! I only read it last year myself because I was avoiding all the hype. I am so glad that I did, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to read it as soon as I brought it home, but I think this was the perfect time for it.

      Delete
  2. I am adding this because I just finished the movie. I liked it. I would be excited over it if I had not read the book, if I did not know what they changed and what they took out. Some of the little things didn't matter. Some of it what was changed mattered. Whereas the book didn't gloss over the ugly truths, the movie did and that made it different for me, and not in a good way. In the book, Skeeter didn't find the redeeming part of the story for her mother. In the movie, though born out of a different situation, she did. I am very glad that I waited to watch the movie after reading the book. And while I understand some things had to be altered due to time constraints of the movie, it felt as though some things were changed because they were uncomfortable. And that says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to this on audio -- which also dealt with the question of dialect-on-the-page that was problematic for a lot of readers, whereas in audio everybody sounded like they were speaking in dialect (for this set of Northern-ears, anyhow) -- and the production was absolutely wonderful. I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks, though I'm trying to learn to be a better listener (heheh), but the three women who read these parts were just astonishingly good.

    My only quibble was that the end (of the book anyway, I haven't seen the movie) seemed a little "pat", but, at the same time, I really *wanted* that ending, in some ways, so I was willing to overlook that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done much audiobooks, and I know a few people who swear by them. I am relatively new to the e-book craze so who knows what's next. Though I did wonder how The Help would sound if read aloud. Maybe I will check out the audio book.

      Delete