Sunday, January 15, 2012

Short Story Saturday (5)


This is something that I decided to do to give the short stories some love. Why not? Most short stories are teasers for bigger novels and it's a great way to get to know authors as well as story lines.


The Ungrateful Dead by Kelley Armstrong
I love Kelley Armstrong!! In fact she is the reason I picked this anthology up in the first place.  I love her writing and I love her characters. Though I think that I will always be partial to Clay and Elena, I don’t think that there’s ever been a character that I didn’t like. (except for maybe the villains, which you’re not supposed to like anyway.) I am still getting to know Jaime and Savannah, but they both intrigue me. This story was hilarious! And at the time I really needed a good laugh. The dynamic of the feisty Savannah and sarcastic works . Though they are not on the dark side of magic and they don’t always enjoy doing the right thing-they do so with flair!

Mr. Bear by Joe R. Lansdale
This story has forever ruined any innocent and friendly image I have of Smokey the Bear. Though Lansdale never came out and said it was about Smokey the Bear, it was definitely implied.  I thought it was kind of weird and I didn’t really enjoy it. I also didn’t connect with the characters or with the story itself. Maybe I was too distracted by the ruining of a childhood icon. I don’t know.

Hell in a Handbasket by Lucien Soulban
This was a pretty funny story, especially the ending. It is a unique way to look at the interactions between demons and angels. Definitely on opposite sides but a lot friendlier than you would expect. It seemed that they were rival sports teams more than mortal enemies, friendly enough to play practical jokes on each other. In this case: Heaven 1 Hell 2 (Hell’s practical joke was way better, lol. )


Til Next Saturday
 Always Shine, 
Starr K


No comments:

Post a Comment