Saturday, December 31, 2011

Short Story Saturday 4

 This is something that I decided to do to give the short stories some love. Why not? Most short stories are teasers for bigger novels and it's a great way to get to know authors as well as story lines. 



Wanted Dead or Alive by L.A. Banks
Here is my untold secret, I love books. Sometimes I go into a bookstore and I go crazy. Sometimes I purchase a book (or two, or a few) and I bring it/them home with me. More often that I will ever admit, that book(s) sit on my shelf for a very long time. More new books come in, school takes over my time and life happens. So sometimes that book I bought a year ago is still sitting on my shelf. But then there is prod, a prickle, something that tells me that I need to get on the ball and start reading said book. That is what this short story did-it reminded me that  I really needed to start Banks' Vampire Huntress series. I like Tanya, yea I know she's not the vampire huntress, but I like her.  This was a great introduction to Banks' writing and I hope to read more of Tanya in the future. 

Mist by Susan Krinard
To fair warn everyone this story will sound a lot like Greg Can Eekhout's Norse Code, but they are not connected. krinard didn't know about Norse Code until it was too late. Both are about the Norse myth Mist. Wow, there is clearly more to tell about this story. And I definitely want to read more. I don't know much about Norse myths, but will be looking into that as well. 

Beyond the Pale by Nancy Holder
To put it all out there, I am a huge Nancy Holder Fan. I am not sure if there is something she's written that I won't like. At least I have yet to discover it. I was really disappointed to learn that this was a stand alone short story. There definitely needs to be more with the way that this story ended. I really really like Meg. The story leaves wanting more, more of Meg's past to understand her better and more of her future to find out what else happens. It would be nice if this turned out to be a brand new series, but if not we need some more short stories. 


Superman by Jeanne  C. Stein
Another story about a vampire. She didn't ask for it and if there was a way to undo it I am sure she would take it. BUt she doesn't allow the promise of this possibility stop her from doing what is right. That's kind of nice for a change. Though I would not be opposed to reading more about Anna Strong, I have to say that I am quite content with only this story, this glimpse into her world.  She is tough and hardcore, she has regrets but nothing distracts her from her responsibilities, whether they were truly given to her or ones she took on herself. 



That's all from the Chicks Kick Butt anthology. Next week I'll start the  Welcome to Bordertown  anthology, edited by Holly Black and Ellen Kushner. See you next Saturday!!!
Always Shine, 
Starr K

No comments:

Post a Comment