Saturday, December 10, 2011

Short Story Saturday (1)

 This is something that I decided to do to give the short stories some love. Why not? Most short stories are teasers for bigger novels and it's a great way to get to know authors as well as story lines. 




I decided to start with an anthology that I have meaning to get into, but it never presented itself. I checked this out from the library, but I'm going to pick up a copy for me. Maybe I'll pick up two and do a giveaway? We'll see.

Shinny A Weather Warden story by Rachel Caine


I have to admit that I came to Rachel Caine a little late. I had heard great things about the Morganville Vampire Series, my co-worker and friend told me that I really needed to check it out. But I saw that she had some other series that I wasn't hearing anything about. So I went and checked out Ill Wind, the first in the Weather Warden Series. You can read my review here. But, as with most things in life, I got distracted and just now checked out the second book in the series, along with this anthology.

Shinny reminded me how much I liked Jo, and how badly I needed to get back into this series. (Will start Heat Stroke soon or renew from the library, will not let it get away from me now.) So much has happened between Ill Wind  and Shinny, and I can't say what it is because umm.. it would spoil the fun for anyone who hasn't read the series. In fact there was one main thing that happened, that it took me a while to figure out what happened, and had to stop reading Shinny to make sure I wasn't going to ruin some big event in the main series.  But nonetheless I enjoyed the short story and excited to get back into the series,

In Vino Veritas by Karen Chance


Have you heard of Karen Chance? If you  haven't, don't feel bad because neither had I. But if you  don't make introductions soon, you will be missing out some seriously good stuff. I dabble in everything fiction so I don't always keep up with authors of specific fiction, another reason/excuse I tend to fall behind in hot series.  But after reading about Dory, I knew that I would have to check her main series.  I can't tell you if this story is just about the character or if it falls somewhere in the storyline of the series. I can however tell you that Dory is worth checking out. She is a serious butt-kicker and the little snippet of her personality that comes through in this story tells me that she is strong lead character. I want to get to know her better. Dory's story is not the beginning of the series.  Cassie Palmer starts it off, and Dory, while it's own series is a crossover which carries ties back to Cassie Palmer's story. not sure if I explained that right so you can check out the timeline for the story here.  I actually went out this weekend and bought the first book Touch the Dark; just can't wait to get started.

Hunt by Rachel Vincent 


Wow! Oh wow! That is all I have to say about this short story. It is part of Vincent's Shifters series. My only question is why have I waited so long to get started on this series? really why? I can't honestly say, but along with Touch the Dark,  I went out and bought Stray, the first book in the Shifters series and I would like to start it right now! Seriously my fingers keep reaching out for the book and eyes seem to find it every time I pass the bookshelf. But, I am already behind (technically 2 weeks behind) in my reading pile. So until i get caught up... I have to wait. Abby, I like Abby. I like the duality of her strength and vulnerability. I like her loyalty and determination.  I am looking forward to meeting her again.

Okay I was just going to pick out my favorite from this anthology and then move on to the next one. I have a couple more stories to go before I'm finished. But so far, I like them all, and while not all would be featured if I had to have a favorite, they are all pretty good.  Karen Chance and Rachel Vincent did such an excellent job that I went out and bought the first book in their series, so that's a huge compliment. And I am sure that if another characters jumps out and attacks me the way Dory and Abby did, I'll be buying more books. But suffice it to say that this is an anthology that is worth having, especially if you like strong female leads who truly are chicks who kick butt.


See ya next Saturday!!
Always Shine, 

Starr K

No comments:

Post a Comment