Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rachel Caine's Ill Wind


                Jo has the unique ability to control and manipulate the weather. She has the affinity for water and air. She is a weather warden who has been entrusted to tame violent weather. Under the cloud of accusations of murder and corruption and with a secret that will ultimately destroy her, Jo is on the run for her life. She has been given a gift she didn’t ask for or even want. She is being chased by a storm that seeks to destroy her and her journey will reveal friends that are really enemies and enemies that are really friends.
First, I have to say that I like the ending. It’s not what I expected or even wanted, and that’s why I didn’t like it at first. Without knowing anything about what the next book is about, or even what the rest of the series is about, the ending to the first book is perfect.  It fits; it’s as if everything built up to this very moment. Without any clues that the story was going in this direction.  I want to read the next book because of the ending of this one. And that is meant as a compliment and not as a complaint.
I have to admit that this was not exactly as I expected. At first I wasn’t a little concerned that the story was told through the perspective of the main character. Sometimes it’s hard to gather the back story through this perspective. That wasn’t the problem with this story. Then I thought that I was going a little crazy when I couldn’t remember the main character’s name. But, in truth, it hadn’t been mentioned in the story yet. (Since it’s told from their perspective and no one thinks of their own name in this perspective-that detail makes sense.)
Jo is a character that doesn’t really follow all of the rules all of the time and it gets her in trouble, but she’s also the type who will find a way out of the trouble-even if it’s reckless. I can’t say that I really care about Jo, in that I-feel-something –for –her kind of way. But I am intrigued in her story. It really is just beginning and I know that more is on the way.  There are still some questions that I have about things that happened in Ill Wind. But not enough to be completely disappointed if the story was to end here.  The romance that starts in this book is nice and sweet with enough steamy passion to root for its success. Though in the back of my mind, I’m thinking of all the other times things were supposed to go relatively easy for Jo but didn’t.  It looks like things may work out, but looking at history I know it will never be that easy.
I have not read any of Rachel Caine’s other books, but I think this is a great series to start with. This is definitely one that I would recommend. To find out more about Rachel Caine, The Weather Warden series or any of her series visit her website at www.rachelcaine.com or find her on Facebook.
Always Shine,
Starr K.

No comments:

Post a Comment