Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tim Downs' Less Than Dead


Less Than Dead

                The construction of The Patriot Center has been brought to a stop upon the discovery of a long forgotten and unmarked graveyard. Nick Polchak is called in to investigate the graveyard. Nick uncovers the buried bodies as well as some buried secrets-secrets that someone will kill to keep buried. With the assistance of an unusually amazing cadaver dog and its trainer, Nick “The Bug Man” must find the killer before more bodies turn up and before the killer decides to come after them.
I have to admit that I am never disappointed with anything I read by Tim Downs. I am saddened by the fact that it has taken me this long to read this book, though it’s been sitting on one my many To Be Read stacks for an insanely amount of time. I was given the opportunity to read Nick of Time for Booksneeze and figured that I should read Less Than Dead first. Yea, I know I didn’t have to.  It’s not a necessity because each book has its own story.  But I wanted to. I used it as an excuse to move it to the done pile and I’m very glad that I did.
There are a lot of secrets that are buried in this small town, and you can always count on Polchak to go to the heart of the matter and uncover them. I love the fact that he has his own way of doing things and the fact that he doesn’t let the fact that he is working with the FBI to change that. He is after the truth and will pursue it wholeheartedly no matter the risks. And that is an admirable trait.  Some may even say that he doesn’t play well with others, but that should be expected from a man who spends a lot of time with bugs.  Despite all of the glaring flaws and nontraditional methods, it is easy to see that Polchak is one of the good guys. I was glad to see that while working on this gravesite case,  Polchak was able to find a connection with someone who is treated as much as an outcast as he sometimes it. It was nice to see a small connection to form between Alena Savard, but sad that nothing really became of it. But it does show some growth and possibilities with Polchak.
I guess I should get back to the actual story of Less Than Dead, it was entertaining and the secrets are surprising. There are a few twists that you know are coming, but not exactly sure what they are. It is an easy read and captivates (I forgot about the other book that I was reading).  It brings up an interesting question –not sure if it was intentional or not. But who is responsible for the secrets of our ancestors?
Would I recommend this book? YES!! More than that, I would recommend anything by Tim Downs!
If you want to know more about Tim Downs, The Bug Man novels and other stories check out his website www.timdowns.net or visit him on Facebook.
Always Shine,
Starr K.

No comments:

Post a Comment