Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: The Hunt


The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
The Hunt #1
May 8, 2012 – St. Martin’s Griffin
293 pages –Yong Adult, Fiction, Paranormal/Fantasy
Facebook:  Yes
Twitter: @AndrewFukuda
Source: Louisville Free Public Library
Purpose: Fun Read
 Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.
Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood. When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

My thoughts:
                The ending changed the rating for this read. I had been looking forward to finally being able to read this that maybe my expectations were too high.  In the beginning it was excruciatingly slow.  I understand that there has to be world building, but there wasn’t a lot to it. The earth as we know doesn’t exist. It’s a lot more barren and everyone comes alive at night. The sun is deadly; humans are hepers and what we know as vampires are considered people.  Don’t get me wrong, this was a completely original take on the vampire myth, and there were some changes that needed to be understood so the story was more believable.  There had to be a way for Gene to survive so long and go undetected. I get it, but that part just didn’t hold my attention.
                I was preparing myself for a DNF read (something I used to not ever do but with my current stash of library books and overflowing bookshelves, I’ve accepted I need to do), and then… the story picked up. It got a little bit more interesting.  I can’t say that I liked any of the characters, and I can’t say that I didn’t like them. Honestly I wasn’t moved one way or the other. I am not sure if I care what happens to the hepers, the last of the known hepers live in a bubble protected. They will be released for the hunt and they have been given weapons to make it more interesting.
                Ashley June, there’s definitely something not right about her. Is she cold and calculating or has she be conditioned to be that way?  Gene, with everything that’s going on and has happened, I can’t understand how he survived for so long. What makes him so important?
                In the end, everything is not as it seems.  And this is what makes me continue to read.  I have to know what is really going on.  My response to the end of the book: What?! < This is why I’m continuing the series and hoping for some answers.
2 Stars **
Always Shine,
Starr K

No comments:

Post a Comment